bluebear logo      
retrieve a quote or renewal get a quote
Blue Bear - Travel Insurance FAQs



From 16th March 2020, there is no cover under this policy for:

  • Cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises you not to travel, for example where the FCO advise against all but essential travel to an area affected by Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2) or any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2.
  • Any claims as a result of Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above. Except for the Emergency Medical Expenses section. This will only apply if you did not travel against the published advice of the FCO, any local government, local authority or WHO.


What do I do if I have a medical condition?

Click on the following link and complete the questions with details of your condition and medication. Alternatively, you should make a medical declaration to Travel Administration Facilities (TAF) by calling them on 0203 829 3846.
You may be required to pay an additional premium to cover your declared medical conditions when they have been considered by TAF. If you are happy with the terms offered, you should pay the additional premium directly to TAF.
IMPORTANT The main policy must be purchased with Blue Bear and a top up policy arranged through TAF in respect of pre-existing medical conditions. The two policies will run concurrently.

Who do I contact in the event of a medical emergency?

You (or your representative) should call an ambulance using the local equivalent of a 999 number, or alternatively by dialling 112 within the EU, and then contact Emergency Assistance Facilities on +44 (0)203 829 6745 for advice.


How much does a policy cost?

Prices vary depending on certain factors, such as age, destination, the trip duration and the level of cover chosen. To obtain a quote, simply click here Get A Quote

How can I buy a policy?

You can buy a policy online using one of the following debit or credit cards: Mastercard and Visa. Enter your trip details and follow the process outlined.

How do I know that buying my policy online is secure?

Blue Bear Travel Insurance uses a secure payment gateway that makes the debit/credit card transaction directly and securely through the bank. We do not have any access to your card details as the payment will be approved or declined by your banking institution. The connection through to your bank uses a 40bit encrypted SSL Web Server Certificate so that the information is encrypted or scrambled making it impossible to intercept or steal. Once the payment has been made your Travel Policy will be instantly confirmed by email.

Can I purchase a policy if I have already started my journey?

A policy must start before leaving the UK. You cannot purchase a Blue Bear policy if you have already started your travels.

When do I start my policy?

Single Trip & Longstay Policies – The start date and end date of the policy should correspond with the dates of travel. Cancellation cover will become effective on the date the premium is paid and the policy is issued.

Annual Multi Trip Policy – Unlike the Single Trip and Long Stay policy, an Annual policy should start when a holiday is booked (and not the start date of the first trip) so that the pre-travel cancellation cover is in force, as detailed in section A1 of the policy wording. These policies will terminate on the expiry date of your policy, as detailed on your certificate of insurance.

Do I have to be a UK resident?

Our insurance policies are only available to residents of the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or British Forces Posted Overseas.

We define UK Residents as people who have their main home in the United Kingdom or the Channel Islands and who have not spent more than six months overseas in the year before buying this policy.

What is the maximum trip duration?

Our Annual Multi-Trip Policy provides cover for trips up to 31 days as standard. Trips of up to 45 days and 60 days can be purchased upon payment of an additional premium. We also offer Single Trip policies of up to 365 days, and a Long Stay Policy of up to 548 days trip duration.

Are there any age restrictions on the policy?

Age restrictions apply to the Blue Bear policies. Details are given under Criteria for Purchase on page 1 of the policy wording, and are as follows:

  • SINGLE TRIP POLICIES: Maximum Age 95

No cover is provided on our policies for Permanent Disablement if you are under 18 or over aged 75.
Accidental Death payment is reduced to £3,500 if under 18 or over 75.

No cover operates if you have deliberately exposed yourself to danger and that the incident is due to an accident and not illness, intoxication or infection.

  • LONG STAY POLICIES: Maximum Age 64

No cover is provided on our policies for Permanent Disablement if you are under 18.
Accidental Death payment is reduced to £1,000 if under 18.

No cover operates if you have deliberately exposed yourself to danger and that the incident is due to an accident and not illness, intoxication or infection.

What is the highest level of cancellation cover I can get?

Cancellation cover on our standard Policies range from £500 to £5,000.
Bronze £500
Silver £1,500
Gold £5,000
Long Stay £3,000

Click here to compare our policies.

Higher valued trips can be considered. To obtain a tailored quote, please email us at providing full details of the trip, including the following information:
Passenger ages
Dates of the trip (Single Trip or Annual)
Trip Value (per person)
Also include other relevant information such as Sporting Activities

Do Blue Bear offer an Annual Multi-Trip Policy?

Yes. Our Annual Multi-Trip Policy provides cover for trips up to 31 days as standard. Trips of up to 45 days and 60 days can be purchased upon payment of an additional premium. Longer durations may be considered.

Which geographical area do I choose?

Find out which Geographical area you need by clicking here to access the list of countries covered by our policies. Then simply type in the area to which you are travelling, and this will display which geographical area you should choose.

Are there any exclusions in the policies?

There are a number of conditions and exclusions which apply to all our policies. These can be found in the relevant Policy wordings.

Do I need insurance if I have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

Yes - The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to access state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost and in many cases free of charge, provided you are a UK or BFPO resident.
It does not provide any other benefits. Remember to check your EHIC is still valid before you travel.

Can I change my mind and cancel my policy?

Our policies contain a Cooling Off period of 14 days from the purchase date of the policy. You will be entitled to a full refund during this period provided you have not travelled, claimed on the policy, or there are any circumstances which may lead to a claim.

Outside of the Cooling Off period, a refund will only be considered if you have not travelled on the policy, made a claim, or there are any circumstances which may lead to a claim, as follows:

Single Trip policies – 50% premium refund.
Annual Multi Trip policies - 5% for each full calendar month remaining on the policy.

An administration fee of £15 applies to policies cancelled outside if the 14 day’ cooling off period, subject to policy terms and conditions.

Please refer to your policy wording for full details on how to cancel your policy.

Can I choose which Travel Agent I book through?

Yes. Blue Bear Travel Insurance is an independent insurance provider and a policy may be purchased independently.

How can I purchase a policy for a group booking?

This facility is not currently available. Please contact our friendly Customer Services Team on 0344 482 7755 for assistance.

In respect of Scheduled Airline Failure, what do you mean by 'inclusive holidays'?

Inclusive holidays are where a flight is purchased with other component parts of the trip e.g. through a tour operator. Where one or more components are booked at the same time. These trips are usually covered under the Air Travel Organisers License (ATOL) arranged by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). The Holiday Financial Failure cover has been designed to include everything outside the ATOL e.g. flight only bookings or where policyholders build up their holidays themselves by booking the end suppliers directly (e.g. arrange flight, then book directly with hotel and arrange taxi from airport etc)

What do I do if I cannot find the correct cover?

Our policies are designed to cover a wide range of trips and activities. However, we understand that ‘once in a lifetime’ trips are booked from time to time and we work very closely with the Underwriting team at Travel Insurance Facilities (TIF) to try to cover these eventualities.

Please email providing full details of the trip for a tailored quote to be requested.

Please include the following information:

  • Passenger ages
  • Dates of the trip (Single Trip or Annual)
  • Territory
  • Trip Value (per person)

Also include other relevant information such as Activities, Cruise Cover, Excess Waiver, or Winter Sports extensions. If the activity you intend to do is not listed in the Policy wording, please supply a web link to provide more details and to assist our Underwriters.

Can I use a private clinic or hospital facility for treatment?

You should request to go to the nearest public/state medical facility. If in Europe, you should show your EHIC card, as medical treatment will be free or at a reduced cost.

IMPORTANT: The Policy does not provide cover for private healthcare.

Some hotels will urge people to seek private treatment, however, these facilities vary greatly and are not necessarily equipped to deal with all emergencies. They may also give medical attention at over inflated prices.

Am I covered for loss of cash?

Yes, providing that this section is covered under your policy. Refer to section B5. There is also a sub-limit within the personal money section for cash. Please refer to the policy wording for details on the cover limit for loss of cash.

How will I remember all the different contact numbers?

All the relevant contact numbers are summarised on the second page of your policy document. These can also be found by clicking the 'Contact Us’ tab on the website.

If I have any other queries, who do I contact?

You may contact our friendly Blue Bear Sales Team on 0344 482 3404 for a quote or with any queries prior to purchasing a Policy.

If you have already purchased a Blue Bear Travel policy and wish to discuss any aspect of your policy, or enquire about upgrades or amendments, please get in touch with our After Sales Team via email at or call us on 0344 482 3404 for assistance.
We are open from 9AM-5.30PM on Monday to Friday.
An Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) is available for each of our products and can be viewed by clicking on the links below:
Bronze Policy - Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) – Click here
Silver Policy - Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) – Click here
Gold Policy - Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) – Click here
Long Stay Policy - Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) – Click here


What activities does the Winter Sports extension cover?

The Winter Sports extension is available at an additional cost and provides cover for Ski equipment, Delayed ski equipment, Loss of ski pack, Piste closure and closure due to Avalanche, PLUS all activities detailed in Activity Packs 1–3.
Click here to access the Policy Wordings for Single and Annual Multi-Trip Policies.
Click here to access the Policy Wordings for a Blue Bear Long Stay Policy.

How do I book an activity?

This can be added by searching for the activity on the quote form, then select which activity / activities you need.
You can also search for your activity here.


How do I get my insurance documents?

When you buy a policy, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover immediately. Please note that some email providers do place our Confirmation emails into SPAM/JUNK folders, due to their automated nature.

How do I amend details on the policy? i.e. name, address, age?

Please email with full details of the changes required. It is our aim to respond to you within 48 hours.

If I want to upgrade my policy, who do I contact?

The Blue Bear Travel Sales Team will be delighted to assist you and can be contacted on our Customer Service line, 0344 482 3404. We are available to answer queries Monday – Friday, 9am – 5.30pm, or simply email us at


How do I obtain a claim form?

Claims forms can be found at

Where do I send my completed claim form to?

Travel Claims Facilities
1 Tower View
Kings Hill
West Malling
ME19 4UY

What documents should I send with my claim form?

Refer to the claim form which relates to your situation. A detailed list of the supporting documentation will be given on the claim form. Claims forms can be obtained from

Who should I contact to discuss a claim?

Travel Claims Facilities can be contacted by telephone on 0203 829 6761 or email:

Can I still claim even if I don't have receipts for all my personal possessions?

These claims will still be considered, but please be aware that you will still be asked to provide proof of ownership for the lost or stolen items. We understand you might not be able to produce receipts for every item, but we do expect that you provide some evidence of ownership. Typically, the insurers may accept photographic evidence in conjunction with warranty cards, manuals, receipts, bank or credit card statements as proof of ownership. In the end, common sense prevails, and you should ask yourself, "Do these documents conclusively prove I have owned this item?". If not, restrictions may apply.

Useful Contacts:

Sales Assistance 0344 482 3404

24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance +44 (0) 203 829 6745

Claims 0203 829 6761


This insurance is provided by Blue Bear Travel Insurance which is a trading name of Rush Insurance Services Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Firm Reference Number 714385) and which is permitted to arrange general insurance contracts.

Copyright © Blue Bear Travel Insurance 2020.